Letters of Recommendation
How to Request a LOR
- An informative subject line. Example: "Requesting Recommendation for History PhD Program, due Month/Day"
- Specific details about the application. What is it? Why are you applying?
- The Deadline. By what date and time is the letter of recommendation due?
- Why do you want me to recommend you for this particular opportunity? Concisely explain why you think I will make a good recommender and let me know what areas of strength you think I can address (example: research & writing; critical thinking; project execution, etc).
- Submission instructions. Let me know how my letter should be submitted. Will I receive an automated link from the application website? Will I need to send the letter via email?
Here are some helpful resources on requesting letters of recommendation:
For First-Gen Students
Resources for UA Students
- UA Thrive Center for First Cats, https://thrive.arizona.edu/first-cats
- UA career center's channel for first-gen students, https://career.arizona.edu/channels/first-generation/